Friday, July 09, 2004

My steady decline (into what, I don't know)

I usually have a few obsessions. They get changed frequently, always in the process of waxing and waning. The list right now consists of M*A*S*H, knitting, and Harry Potter books. Writing that out makes me realize what an odd combination it is. It makes me feel simultaneously like a veteran, a matronly old woman, and a 12 year old. Not a 20 year old college student on summer vacation.

Also, the mosquitos are getting to me.

Also, we found out today that our oak trees have some form of anthrax disease or other. I've gotta get out of here. This place is bad for my health. :)

I've got a sewing project to work on now: a knitting needle case, made out of clearance-priced toile fabric. I used to swear that I'd never use a sewing machine again after home ec. class. There I go again, breaking my promises. Hah-hah.

I'm considering staying up for 24 straight hours, just to see what it's like again. I could go out and greet the dawn. And a beautiful dawn it will be, too. The air outside smells like rain. It's perfect, and I'm not kidding. In the next fifteen minutes, the sky will begin to lighten between the branches of the infected trees, the birds will begin to sing, the mosquitos will start buzzing, and everything will come alive, except me. Amidst the rest of the world just beginning to wake up, I will be slowly falling asleep, to arise at noon, just when everyone else is taking a little siesta. I always knew I was a bit backwards, a little behind, a touch off-kilter. So I sleep during the day and spend my nights awake at the computer or the TV or just my notebook. And even at 4 in the morning, I have trouble falling asleep.

I ought to go and try anyway. Or at least go and lie awake and listen to NPR.

No comments: