Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Winter wonderland

I walked back to my room outside today for the first time in about a month. The subzero temperatures seem to have disappeared; it's 21 degrees ABOVE zero outside right now. Also, it's snowing. I walked along the sidewalk by the park (the long way home, but the prettier route) and gazed at the little village of fish houses that has sprung up on the ice. I usually think that it looks like an ugly shantytown, but the snow changes everything, makes it soft and cozy, like lining everything with balls of cotton fluff. When I got back to the dorms, I looked in the mirror and my hair was covered in a net of wet diamond droplets.

I'd forgotten how much I love to walk outdoors. Winter does that to you, in Minnesota. When nature becomes your enemy, you forget temporarily how beautiful it can be.

I'm going back outside now. Time to try and start my car. The rest of you... get out and enjoy the snow!

2 comments:

bizefingers said...

I am impressed. You are so inspirational. I have been enjoying the beauty of the snow from my couch.

Angel said...

**blushes** Gee, thanks. Staying inside where it's dry and warm isn't a bad idea, really. But the snow's just so pretty falling through the trees and over the lake...