Friday, March 19, 2004

Lucy in the sky with diamonds...

Apparently, on Monday, March 22, all five of the planets that are visible to the naked eye (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn) will be in the sky at the same time, soon after sunset. I found an interesting little NASA article detailing how to find all five of them in the night sky. I'm hoping for a clear night... according to the forecast we just might get one, too. I wish I knew where my binoculars were. For the past few nights it's been really nice and clear (and not bitter cold!) out and I've been able to pick out Venus and Jupiter pretty easily.

Hey... it'll be Monday. Writer's group night! Yay! I can stargaze (planetgaze?) while wandering to the meeting. There's a place where you can stand sorta partway between Tamarack and Linden where the lights are shaded just enough that you can actually pick out some constellations and such through the light pollution. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a city where you can't even SEE the stars at night for all the lights. I don't think I'd stay there for long. Too depressing. Small towns may lack something in the way of nightlife/entertainment, but I can't really picture myself living anywhere else for very long.

Seems like it's gonna be a long weekend. I don't have much in the way of homework to do, nor do I have any plans. I'm gonna try and sleep a lot, I think. And read. And write. And maybe go down to Erin's room and bug her for a while. I have a feeling that I've been sorta irritating people over the past couple days. I've been in such a good mood that the internal censor for the things I say kinda went AWOL. On one hand that might be a good thing because I usually have a hard time speaking my mind. But on the other hand... once people know that I'm usually quiet and reserved and whatnot, when I DO start talking, I get lots of surprised looks. Or worse. So anyway... if I pissed anyone off, I'm sorry.

I'm gonna go take a nap. Then I'm gonna try and read more of Dune. I'll probably write more tonight, especially if I get bored.

No comments: