Saturday, July 31, 2004

I'm leaving!

[Listening to: The Pixies, "Where Is My Mind?"]

Six hours from now I'll be Chicago-bound. Which means I should be in bed. But I'm not. I'm also not packed. But I will be within the next hour, and then I'll sleep for about four hours before I've gotta get up and get ready to go. I'm going like a real college student, too, just a backpack on my back. And my teeny-tiny purse. So this'll probably be my last post 'til I get back. Unless, of course, I find cheap/free internet access close to the hotel. Not likely, but it could happen.

I bought a disposable black-and-white camera today, on a whim. I always liked black and white photography; it seems more honest. Lines and shades stand out more and you can pick up on details that you'd otherwise miss in the kalidescope of colors. Light matters more in black and white. You can make shots more interesting with the simple application of a lamp.

Silly me, romantacizing something so simple as photography. I just remember the class I took in high school, where we developed our own film and printed our own pictures. That was one of my favorite classes. I'm not much good at painting or drawing or anything, but I'm not half bad with black and white photography. Too bad it costs so much to set up my own home studio, otherwise I would have long ago. I could sit in the cool red light and mix chemicals and make images appear out of nowhere, basically just do what I like.

All right, that started drifting away from what I planned to say, which was more or less just that I'm not gonna be blogging until about Wednesday night or so. That's all. Time to go pack. See ya.

No comments: