Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Memories resurface

I had a strange little flashback today. I was sitting in the Minneapolis airport, waiting for the plane that would take me back to Albuquerque, New Mexico to finish spring semester. It was right after spring break, and there was snow outside (mid-March, of course there was snow) and I was sitting in the crowded terminal, listening to a church youth group that was getting together to go down to New Mexico for some sort of service project type thing. They were obviously high schoolers, because they kept talking about their chaperone. All of them were really excited to be going, and worried about a friend of theirs who was late arriving at the airport. They were passing around bags of Doritos and laughing and just generally having a good time. This was about the time when I was just finally deciding what to do at the end of the semester, and I already knew that no matter what, I was going to quit school in New Mexico and come home. I remember watching these kids (they felt like kids to me, even though I was only about a year older) and thinking about how little they knew, and how I wished I could be that happy about something.

Of course, that was a long time before I met all my wonderful friends here. Anyway, I feel odd today, like I'm waiting for something to happen. Not necessarily a monumental something, but just... something. Something important for me.

Anyway, I need to get into a writerly mood today. After knitting. Maybe by then I'll feel like it. Writing, I mean. Right now things in my head are a little frenetic. Hopefully knitting a bit will calm me down a bit.

Notes to self: Meeting with Dann Siems next Tuesday @ 2:00. Meeting tomorrow for work @ 9:15. Meeting with Dr. Cobb on Thursday @ 12:15.

No comments: