Friday, September 02, 2005

On saying goodbye

Man... it's going to be a tough weekend. I can feel it already. So many things are changing so fast. Seth's leaving for good, and I don't even know exactly how to describe how that makes me feel. It's somehow sadder than I've ever felt leaving any of my friends in any of the places I've lived. I hate to say it that way, but it's true. All my friends in Bemidji are closer to me than I've ever felt to any other person, except for family. In a lot of ways, these guys ARE my family. If I have a bad day, or need help, or want to celebrate something wonderful, or just hang out and talk and feel good, these are the people I go to. Having one of them leave is a little like having an arm go missing. Having Seth and Rachel both go is... difficult at best.

At worst... I dunno. They're sort of the glue that seemed to keep us all together. Almost parents, in a way. A source of stability in the otherwise uncertain world that is a college student's life. I've known them for less than a year, but in that time I've discovered exactly how much I need people like that in my world.

I guess that's life. There is no constant but change. Still, it will be a tough day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh.

Alicia said...

When we left Bemidji, it felt like an entire part of my life had been completely removed. Even now, it's hard to find friends because I keep thinking about how much I miss you guys and how great of friends you are. We also know it isn't permanent down here, so it's tough to find lasting friendships when we know the friendship may only be for a year and a half or so. And I wish I could say it gets better, or easier, but it doesn't. But try your best to always write and e-mail and call often. Three things Nate and I need to do more.