Sunday, December 19, 2004

Moved by the music

I was thirteen when I first discovered the hold that the sound of an acoustic guitar has over me. I remember that I was listening to my cousin Mike play, and I was nearly hypnotized by the sound. He was probably playing a song I hadn't heard at that time, old punk or maybe the Beatles or something like that, I can't remember. All I know is, that's the first time I'd listened to anyone play, and I was entranced.

It's been like that every time. I'm not kidding, either; I could happily listen to a person play an acoustic guitar for hours. It doesn't matter to me whether they're particularly good or not. For some reason, the sound itself evokes feelings in me that I don't entirely understand. When I hear the music, I feel safe and happy, as if nothing can harm me because I am taken care of, wrapped in a blanket of sound. I can feel it in the core of my being, my soul resonating with the strings. I know this sounds overly dramatic, but it is the most precise way for me to describe the way I feel.

Tonight I heard a friend of mine play, just briefly, and the music put me into a comfortable and mellow place I can only reach with the sound of a guitar. It's been a long time since I've been there. I don't know exactly what to say about it, except thank you.

No comments: