Thursday, July 28, 2005

More stargazing, less sleep

I saw another one tonight--a meteor, around 1:30 AM, just off to the left (west) of the constellation Cassiopeia. Just as I said goodbye to my friends and they shut the door, I looked up into the northeastern sky and saw the streak of light. I gasped, not thinking I would see one on such a casual glance. But I did, and it was beautiful.

So now I'm hoping to plan a stargazing night/meteor shower party in mid-August with some people out on a farm where it's beautiful and clear and dark. I guess you can take the girl out of astronomy, but you can't take the astronomy out of the girl. Or something like that. Anyway, I'm studying up on star charts so I can maybe place some of the constellations again. I know the major, easy-to-find ones, like the Big Dipper (and the Little Dipper if I can see it), Cassiopeia, Orion, Delphinius, Corona Borealis, and the Pleides (sp?) cluster. I have a much harder time with the rest of them, mostly because it is rare for me to be in a position to see lots of stars, what with all the trees and light pollution I normally live around. I believe I was able to identify Hercules tonight, and possibly Cygnus. Getting better, I guess. Also, if the streetlights are dimmed, I can see the Milky Way very faintly. It's rather pretty.

I love living away from the cities.

No comments: